We care for patients who suffer with life-limiting illness.
We are The Shepherd’s Hospice, Sierra Leone.
Who Do We Exist For?
For people who suffer with illnesses that cannot be cured, and for their loved ones.
What Are We Here To Do?
To look after people with illnesses that cannot be cured,
To treat their pain and other symptoms,
To relieve their suffering,
To support them through difficult times.
Adapted from The Worldwide Palliative Care Alliance
What kinds of serious illnesses cannot be cured?
Many people suffer from illnesses that cannot be cured despite the best medicine or surgery.
- Some cases of HIV or TB which have stopped responding to medicine (drug resistant HIV or drug resistant TB)
- Heart disease (Cardiovascular disease)
- Lung disease (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Parkinson’s disease
- Neurological disorders e.g. following a severe stroke
- Kidney failure
- Hardening (cirrhosis) of the liver, or liver failure
- Immune disorders
We are here to help relieve some common problems:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Confusion or agitation
- Respiratory secretions
- Other end of life symptoms
- Psychosocial/Emotional Troubles
- Spiritual concerns